Chile, for political and administrative purposes, is divided into 15 regions with a central government based in the capital: Santiago of Chile. According to the diversity of attractions, Chile is divided into four main areas:
Includes the regions of Arica and Parinacota (XV), Tarapacá (I), Antofagasta (II), Atacama (III) and Coquimbo (IV).
* Main attractions: Lake Chungará (Arica), the ghost town of Humberstone (Iquique), Atacama Desert, considered the driest in the world (San Pedro de Atacama), due to low cloud cover and light pollution is an ideal for the installation of astronomical observatories area (La Serena). Also has beautiful beaches around its coastline.
* Weather : It is characterized by a desert climate, with shortage of rains. Inland, plateau, summer rains known as "Bolivian winter" presented. Average temperatures are: Summer (December to February 27 ° C) - Fall (March to May, 23 ° C) - Winter (June to August, 22 ° C) - Spring (September to November, 23 ° C).
* Getting there: There are daily flights linking Santiago to major cities: Arica, Iquique, Antofagasta, Calama and La Serena.
Includes the regions of Valparaíso (The), Metropolitan (XIII), O’Higgins (WE), Maule (VII) and Bio Bio (VIII). Its territory is marked by the Aconcagua river, North, and Bio Bio, to the South.
* Main attractions: Viña del Mar, also known as the Garden City, It is the largest resort in Chile and one of the most famous in South America. Valparaíso, Chile's main port and declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco. Santiago, Capital City, modern and strong, located at the foot of the majestic Andes. Here are the main ski resorts in Chile (Portillo, Valle Nevado, Chillán). The valleys, and its vineyards, let go and visit the various existing Wine Routes.
* Weather : It enjoys a Mediterranean climate marked by the winter rains and high temperatures in summer. In Costa, and due to its proximity to the Pacific Ocean which acts as a regulator, temperatures are mild throughout the year and the presence of moisture in the air. Average temperatures are: Summer (December to February 30 ° C) - Fall (March to May, 20 ° C) - Winter (June to August, 14 ° C) - Spring (September to November, 22 ° C).
* Getting there: Santiago has an international airport that receives aircraft from major capitals of the world. The airport is located just 25 miles from downtown Santiago, from there you can communicate with the whole country either by air or road.
Also known as "Lake District", includes the regions of Araucanía (IX), Rivers (XIV) and Lakes (X); including Chiloé Island.
* Main attractions: The Mapuche, originating in Chile, is mainly concentrated in this area and today opens its culture to the world and all who want to learn from their ancestral practices. The diversity of its unique landscapes leads to numerous protected areas and national parks like Conguillío, Huerquehue, Puyehue, Vicente Pérez Rosales, Chiloé, inter alia.
Pucon is called the capital of outdoor activities. Also remarkable is the presence and work of German settlers who becomes visible in beautiful and always ordered fields in addition to its typical architecture embodied in houses and churches.
In this area a popular route between Chile and Argentina is also located, touring lush forests and lakes browsing emerald waters, in a magical combination of terrestrial and lake transport, connecting the cities of Puerto Montt, Puerto Varas (Chile) and Bariloche (Argentina), all surrounded by the presence of snowcapped volcanoes Osorno, Pointed and Tronador. During winter, together with the presence of excellent quality snow, open their doors several ski resorts.
We can not fail to mention the magical island of Chiloé with its famous churches, Heritage, and its enormous cultural and folk heritage.
* Weather : Climate is more rainy and cold, accentuated as we move southward. Average temperatures are: Summer (December to February 26 ° C) - Fall (March to May, 15 ° C) - Winter (June to August, 12 ° C) - Spring (September to November, 13 ° C).
* Getting there: There are daily flights linking Santiago to major cities: Temuco, Valdivia, Puerto Montt.
It extends from the region of the Lakes, recognized as the "gateway" to the Chilean Patagonia, including the region of Aysen (XI) and the region of Magallanes (XII). This wide geographical area has the lowest population in Chile.
* Main attractions: We could make an imaginary division and mention the "Northern Patagonia" with Carretera Austral ideal for long journeys, overland, of incomparable beauty with unique mountains (Cerro Castillo), rivers and pristine waters (Baker River), the largest lake in Chile (General Carrera Lake) and large glaciers (San Rafael Glacier).
In "South Patagonia" highlights Paine National Park Torres considered the 8th Wonder of the World. Punta Arenas, located along the Strait of Magellan and the capital of the region of the same name, samples preserved its former glory and is port forwarding to the legendary Cape Horn and Antarctica. Other points of interest are La Cueva del Milodon, Magdalena Island with its huge population of penguins, and glaciers Serrano and Balmaceda.
* Weather : Predominantly arid climate and cold. Precipitation occurs, generally, as snow. Due to its proximity to the South Pole, daylight hours during the day are longer in summer while the days are shorter in winter. Average temperatures are: Summer (December to February 23 ° C) - Fall (March to May, 16 ° C) - Winter (June to August, 13 ° C) - Spring (September to November, 19 ° C).
* Getting there: There are daily flights linking Santiago to major cities: Balmaceda and Punta Arenas.
In Addition, Due to its special geographical location, we must mention the Pacific Islands:
– Easter Island: Also known as Rapa Nui. It is the most isolated inhabited island in the world. Administratively has status of "special territory" always under the government of Chile.
* Main attractions: The Rapa Nui National Park, occupying more than 40% of the total territory of the island, has been declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco. Its main attractions are the Moai, giant stone statues, and Ahu or altars, all built from volcanic rock by the ancient inhabitants of the island. The volcano Rano Raraku, one of the existing on the island, has on its slopes several Moai unfinished allowing you to admire the process of sculpture and its subsequent transport to Ahus. The island is surrounded by crystal clear waters that allow diving to observe a wide variety of fish and coral reefs. In native language, the island is called the island is called Te pito o te henua which means "the navel of the world".
* Weather : It has a tropical climate, characteristic of oceanic islands. It has little temperature variation during the day and throughout the year. The average annual high temperature is 23 ° C while the minimum temperature reaches 18 ° C. Most rainfall occurs, regularly, throughout the year.
* Getting there: There are daily flights linking Santiago and Easter Island. At Present, there are flights linking Lima, Peru and Easter Island.
– Juan Fernández Archipelago: It consists of three islands: Robinson Crusoe, Alejandro Selkirk and Santa Clara. Administratively have "special territory" status provided under the government of Chile. Only Crusoe and Selkirk islands are inhabited.
* Main attractions: The three islands are part of Juan Fernández Archipelago National Park was declared a World Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO. It is a paradise for outdoor activities, especially for walks. Robinson Crusoe was shelter sailor Alexander Selkirk and his story inspired the novel Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. You can visit the cave where this marine refuge. The island is surrounded by crystal clear waters that allow diving and observing variety of fish and corals. The island has flora and fauna. Are also famous lobsters Juan Fernández.
* Weather : Has a rainy maritime climate with high humidity. Its annual average temperature rises to 16 ° C and the level of annual rainfall reaches 1.040 mm.
* Getting there: There are weekly flights operated by two local airlines. The journey between the mainland and the island reaches 1 hour 50 minutes.